From:
"J. Hochadel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Hochadel
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 20:37:33 -0400
Well, it pays to take a (long) walk in the rain. :)  The bike trail
continues to produce great birds and memorable experiences.

*Notes:*
overcast, drizzly rain (I birded under the cover of the umbrella for about
an hour)
walked 5 miles (2.5 miles one way then back)
4.25 hours
49 species total (48 on the trail, one additional in my yard)

*Highlights include:*
Barn Swallow - 2
House Wren - 7 (all singing, they love the brush piles left from logging)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 10 (all very vocal)
Veery - 4
Hermit Thrush - 1
Wood Thrush - 5
Gray Catbird - 6
Brown Thrasher - 1
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1
Blue-winged Warbler - 3 (one with the Golden-winged Warbler, one ~200 feet
away from that one, and one about 3/4 mile south of them))
Golden-winged Warbler* - 1 (see notes below)
Yellow Warbler - 12
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1 (singing in a logged area where I've had them
for several years)
American Redstart - 2 males
Ovenbird - 1
Scarlet Tanager - 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 7 (all singing)
Eastern Towhee - 15
Chipping Sparrow - numerous
Field Sparrow - 3 (all singing)
Fox Sparrow - 1 (singing)
Song Sparrow - abundant, seemed to be singing everywhere
Swamp Sparrow - 4 (one pair and two singles)
White-throated Sparrow - 42 (I was surrounded by one flock of 28 while they
were singing and flying about - incredible!)
Northern Oriole - 1

*The Golden-winged Warbler was in a mixed flock with one Blue-winged
Warbler, two Yellow Warblers, and two American Redstarts. All were singing
and moving around a lot, actively feeding in the tree tops and in the
shrubs right next to the trail. I watched them for 25 minutes.

When I arrived home, a Northern Oriole was singing across the street and an
Eastern Phoebe was in my yard.

Still smiling,
Judy Hochadel