From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2016 10:34:55 -0400
The Greenlawn Cemetery owl nest has been published in the Dispatch, so
noting its existence on Ohio Birds is not likely to be detrimental.
However, the original question was about owl roosts, which is different.
You can go to a spot where owls are reported to roost and never see them
(I've done it countless times).

In terms of photographers and behavior, there's a reason the Greenlawn owl
nest is fenced off. A few bad actors do tend to result in negative comments
about groups in general, which is why we should feel obligated to speak out
about unethical or just plain rude behavior when we observe it. Some
photographers do act in ways that are not only detrimental to birds, but to
birders and people around them. Unfortunately, it is the bad behavior that
sticks out in people's minds. No one is going to remember the guy on the
Magee boardwalk handholding a 400mm lens, standing behind all the people
trying to see a rare warbler, but they are going to remember the guy set up
with a massive lens and tripod that you have to squeeze by. And conversely,
no one remembers the quiet birders who see the bird and move on; they
remember the ones that just had to get closer for a really good look or
immediately whip out a recording and ruin it for everyone. When people
criticize birders for those actions, I don't feel personally offended
because I don't do what they are complaining about.

Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Scott E. Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]