From:
Dan Best <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2016 14:50:18 -0400
Loons and Blackbirds abound on Bass Lake (outside of Chardon, Munson Twp, Geauga County) today. Funny how a trip to the Munson Twp recycling center turned into a major bird event. I counted 28 loons on Bass Lake! Most were together in a raft. Also saw 5 pied-billed grebes, 1 horned grebe and a Bonaparte's gull among the few herring/and or ring-billed gulls in the air. A raft of unidentified ducks in the SE corner of the lake, no spotting scope.

Along Lakeview Rd., there was a mixed flock of blackbirds that included about 25 red-wings, 15 rusties and a couple of cowbirds. The rusty blackbirds were rumaging in the dead leaves where the grass was exposed along the road. Robins seemed to have abandoned territory to regroup in winter foraging flocks in bare patches with the blackbirds and throughout the Bass Lake Communnity. Then, I saw another 6 rusty blackbirds around the corner in a big puddle off of Wilson Mills Road. And then there were two more rusty blackbirds with a group of starlings on the baseball diamond next to the recycling center at the Munson Twp. park/township hall/firehouse complex. One rusty was on the mound while the other was playing shortstop.

Did I mention that Chardon has at least 8" of snow?

Dan Best