From:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2016 16:29:42 -0400
I would like to add to Hans comments about the new Breeding Bird Atlas (I
got my copy today).  If you already have a copy you probably should just
delete this email now.

Congratulations to the 5 editors of this extraordinary work (Paul Rodewald,
Matt Shumar, Aaron Boone, David Slager and Jim McCormac).  As Hans already
commented, this is going to be a very useful resource for those with an
interest in Ohio's birds.  It's good science presented in language we can
all understand.

I see the information in this Second Atlas as particularly valuable for
Audubon chapters and their Partners working within the 66 Important Bird
Areas (IBA's) in Ohio.  These folks are working hard to conserve and improve
bird habitat across the state and around the country for all us.  The
information the editors have compiled will be welcomed by all.

As with a good field guide, the first part of this book (5 chapters)
deserves our attention as much as the species accounts (Chapter 6). Here is
a brief description:

Chapter 1 covers some history of bird atlases in general and specifically in
Ohio.

Chapter 2 discusses Habitat and Environmental Features, making good use of
maps for us more 'visual' learners.  Geology - Major stream drainages -
Vegetation - Elevation

Chapter 3 presents the Survey Design and Analytical Methods use to gather
and process data - there is a lot of heavy information here that most of us
won't understand.  However, on page 42 we see the flow of information for
one species, Dickcissel, on 7 different map overlays, and can appreciate how
that data got there.

Chapter 4 summarizes the changes between OBBA one and OBBA two.  There are
tables showing species on the increase, on the decline, and those that are
moving more north or south in the state.  You will also find a comparison of
population estimate between OBBA one and two, and a new rank by abundance
(Hans pointed out that the Song Sparrow gets the #1 spot - there are 84 more
species ranked as well).

Chapter 5 is a MUST READ - it tells us how to interpret the information
presented for each species and provides definitions for frequently used
terms.

Chapter 6 is the Species Account and everyone will learn something about the
birds we love.

Chapter 7 looks at Implications for Bird Conservation in Ohio.

The book concludes with 7 Appendices and a section on Literature Citations.
Too much detail to cover here.

When you get it you will want to make a fresh cup of coffee or tea and spend
time just paging through it.  A most enjoyable and useful reference tool.

Matt Valencic

Geauga County