Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2016 03:19:04 +0000
I don't know for certain, but with the cold snap, perhaps some of the eggs died? Any eggs that were not being kept warm by a heron body wouldn't have made it.  I know when I had chickens, they seemed to know when turning their eggs whether one was bad or not?  Or another just a theory---when I was there last weekend, there were only a few nests that appeared occupied.  I do not know how that compares to this week.  Is it possible these are "old" eggs and they are just cleaning house?  Or a rival's eggs in an unguarded nest?    I would seem to me that once there are eggs, a parent sitting on eggs or not far from them.  As I said, all just theories extrapolated from other bird species I know more about than the herons' behaviors and patterns.
Kimba JSummit