From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 06:06:34 -0400
Greetings,

With all the rain that Marion County has gotten recently, shorebirds have a
plethora of opportunities for foraging. This seems to be holding true for
Big Island...in the afternoon at least.  Killdeer Plains Pond 27(1) might
be a better locale for Shorebirds.

I have gotten Pectoral Sandpipers in area fields, but not in Big Island
itself.  Yellowlegs were in a little cattle "pond" a half a mile from my
house, but not anywhere along the normal areas in Big Island/Herr Rd.  I
did flush a Snipe that was starting a nest recently, but that is about it.
I haven't tried to check out the pond behind the white barn, but with all
the spring/winter rain, that pond looks to be filling back to levels of a
few years ago.

Ducks and such have been pretty decent.    Lots of Teal, Mallards, and
Shovelers. Trumpeter Swans have spread out again.

Herons are nesting back in the rookery and will soon begin to rumble with
the murmuring of a new generation.  Hopefully I can get back in there and
check for Protonotary Warblers here in a month or so.  I have seen two
Greater Egrets so far.

The usual and customary raptors are present.  Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, and
Kestrel are present along with Turkey Vultures.

Game birds are present as well.

Patiently waiting for May. :-D

Happy Birding and God bless,

Steve J.