From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:13:30 -0400
Greetings,

Well, I actually made it down to Big Island before evening today mainly to
check on habitat for spring migrants.  What follows is for those that are
interested in what I usually see in the spring and early summer...nothing
too scientific, just what I typically see...although with some of them, I
could probably show you exactly where they will be. :-D

The pond behind the barn on LaRue-Prospect is completely full, and it
appears that they are going to keep it at normal height. If water levels
stay at normal then the prospects are good for Prothonotary Warbler (PROW)
natural cavity sites....I've got my wellies and my Kayak at the ready. :-D
I got a dozen Green-winged Teal back along the back edge, but I had to get
wet and muddy to get to a place to see them (Walk along the dike at the
front and almost where the second opening is, there is a finger that juts
out.  Mud boots and a scope gets you a view of the complete back side of
the pond. There should be PROWs, Woodpeckers, Marsh Wrens, and Vireos
there.  Most of the area is "view-able"..but it is usually wet...I
personally find a relaxing kayak ride and a pair of leg waders the easiest
way to get around. If you want to hear something awesome, wade back in
there after the Herons start hatching...some days the growl is deafening.
Where the overflow to that pond drains into, usually holds some woodpeckers
and a PROW or two...best access is walking down the road though...so be
careful.

Shorebirds are negative in that pond.

While there, I was able to get great views of a Sandhill Crane riding the
thermals with the Vultures.  For the 3-5 minutes I saw it, it maybe flapped
once.  Amazing to watch.

The third pond coming from Espyville on LaRue Prospect has some Swamp
Sparrows, and Lincoln Sparrows at present. They have bush hogged the shrubs
that had started to take over the west side of the pond, so who knows what
will nest on that side now.
The Cormorants are back as well...but only about 100 of them so far. :-D I
did flush a Sora as I was leaving.  Typical breeding "special" birds should
be Vireos, PROWs, Common Yellowthroat, Common Moorhen, Sora, Mergansers,
Marsh Wrens, Swamp Sparrows, possible Virginia Rail, ...Maybe a bittern of
you are fortunate.  Orioles and such should be nesting in the woods
surrounding.  For those that want to try "roughing it" to see some birds,
about in the middle of the west side of that pond...just past the hunting
blind..., there is a small pond off to the left of that pond back in the
woods that is overgrown...might find some good things there if you don't
mind ticks...get past that pond, and it just gets wetter all the way back
to the Rookery...definitely not an easy hike once you leave the dike.
there are some old ponds back in there too, to the north,  but I haven't
been back in there for about 10 years, so who knows what's there...

The other two ponds are hit and miss, but there are some good things
usually along the back side of both.  They are usually where the shorebirds
will be if they are here.

For those looking for Shorebirds at Big Island.  Mr Pasma (The Biology
teacher at Elgin High School) said that they have drained the pond down
real low at the SPEEK...and they are hoarding all the shorebirds..:-D  Park
in the old school's main parking lot (40.566736, -83.248630) and enter at
the sign...ignore the times that they are open...it is a misprint.  He also
said that you don't need to go to administration to tell them you are there
either.  He reported that he had Snipe, Sora, both Yellowlegs, and a couple
of Pectorals today,  so that would be a place to check out if you are over
this way.  He also reported that he had a big flock of Rusties, but I don't
remember if it was there, or at his home which is on the other side of the
county.

Happy Birding and God Bless,

Steve J

Virus-free.