From:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2016 14:35:19 -0400
I had a productive birding morning along the bike path in Athens between Currier Street and Armitage Road. I checked the old canal there in hopes for Prothonotary Warbler, without success. Instead, I found (and managed to photograph) a Wilson’s Warbler there. There was also a Northern Watertrush, a Palm Warbler, and a Yellow-rumped Warbler. A male Wood Duck was on the water and a Green Heron (my first-of year) was in the trees. I wondered if both may be nesting there. On the opposite side of the path I had a singing Lincoln’s Sparrow.

Half way along the mile or so of bike path, I could hear a Yellow-breasted Chat singing from behind the railroad tracks. They have been there in previous years. There were severeal Yellow Warblers and Common Yellowthroats, one gorgeous male Magnolia Warbler, and several singing White-eyed Vireos and Indigo Buntings. I had two singing Orchard Orioles, both were 1st summer males which are yellow, not chestnut, with a black face marking.

All 56 species seen (and some pictures) are listed here:

Spring birding is awesome!

Stefan
==

Dr. Stefan Gleissberg