From:
"J. Hochadel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Hochadel
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2016 22:01:40 -0400
It was a spectacular day for migrants on the bike trail today! I'm sure I
missed counting some birds because at times there were so many birds
singing and moving around that it was difficult to hear and see everything.
But I'm really happy with what I got this morning. I spent a little over
five hours covering five miles (2.5 miles one way, I took my time) and
ended the walk with 79 species. Highlights include: one Swainson's Warbler
(definitely my favorite of the day, and a new life bird for me), a great
variety of migrants, and large numbers of several species.

Interesting notes: I watched two separate pairs of Redstarts for a while.
With each pair, the male was trying to mate with the female but she would
quickly move away and make a scolding sound. She wanted nothing to do with
his advances. Then he'd stare at her for a moment and try again. Lather,
rinse, repeat. Haha  I almost had a different male Redstart almost land on
my head. LOL Two Orioles were "duking it out" in midair over the trail
while a female foraged in a tree. Hormones were running very high today....

Also, yesterday at my home there were 3 juvenile Killdeer with one adult
hanging out in the garden and around the compost pile, two newly fledged
House Sparrows (still had downy tufts sticking out of their heads) with a
pair of adults at the feeder, and a pair of Barn Swallows gathering mud and
grass near the compost area.

Judy Hochadel

Double-crested cormorant - 4 flew over
Great blue heron - 3
Canada goose
Red-shouldered hawk - 2
Wild Turkey - 3
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs - 3
Pectoral Sandpiper - 4
Black-billed Cuckoo - 1 (I watched it watching me)
Barred Owl - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Peewee - 1
Acadian Flycatcher - 2
Least Flycatcher - 5
Eastern Phoebe - 1
Great Crested Flycatcher - 2
Eastern Kingbird - 1
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow - 2
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Eastern Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren - 11 (they love the logged areas)
Marsh Wren - 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 14
Veery - 11
Wood Thrush - 12 (saw one carrying food while it flew across the trail)
American Robin
Gray Catbird - abundant
European Starling
Blue-headed Vireo - 1
Yellow-throated vireo - 3
Warbling Vireo - 2
Red-eyed Vireo - 14
Philadlephia Vireo - 2
Blue-winged Warbler - 10
Tennessee Warbler - 3
Nashville Warbler - 7
Northern Parula - 1
Yellow Warbler - 30
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 3
Cape May Warbler - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - 5
Blackburnian Warbler - 3
Blackpoll Warbler - 9
Black-and-white Warbler - 4
American Redstart - 53 (Yes, that is correct. They were everywhere!)
Worm-eating Warbler - 4
*Swainson's Warbler* - 1 (heard it singing several times and watched it for
about 5 seconds)
Ovenbird - 6
Northern Waterthrush - 4
Louisiana Waterthrush - 4
Connecticut Warbler - 1 (a female, seen not heard, in the same area where I
saw a male on May 3)
Common Yellowthroat - 32
Hooded Warbler - 4
Scarlet Tanager - 2
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting - 1 (a male, seen not heard)
Eastern Towhee - 17
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow - 1
White-throated Sparrow - 2 (seen together, one was singing)
White-crowned Sparrow - 2 (seen together)
Bobolink - 2
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark - 1
Common Grackle