From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2016 22:54:03 -0400
Just returned from a couple of days at Magee Marsh and surrounding areas;
as others have reported, birding yesterday (Wednesday) was wonderful, with
warblers galore; today (Thursday) was pretty decent by most standards,
though slower than the previous day.

I do want to mention, though, one thing that I found truly amazing: the
flight of Blue Jays. Yeah, I'm as happy to run up the list of species as
anyone else, so seeing lots of different warblers, vireos, and other
long-distance migrants is fun and exciting. But the continual flight of
thousands upon thousands of Blue Jays overhead truly constituted a
spectacle. I really have no idea how many Jays came into and over Magee,
but even a few casual glances in the morning quickly had my personal total
into many hundreds, and the birds just kept coming: twenty, thirty, fifty
at a time, over and over again. After a hundred or two or three there would
be a pause, then just when I thought that might be it, another flock -- and
another and another -- would come along.

Sometimes it's those little, taken-for-granted happenings that, in their
own way, are most impressive.

--
Bill Heck