From:
Mark Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2016 13:05:22 -0400
The spring Blue Jay movement does give a fantastic view of bird migration. This diurnal migrant can be truly spectacular. I conducted several 1 minute counts yesterday to try to make an estimate of the volume moving. For the period of 9 AM to 1 PM an estimate of 25,000 jays passed over the Navarre banding station along the Lake Erie shore in Ottawa County. The movement was much wider and lasted the entire day so the actual number was magnitudes greater.

Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
Oak Harbor, Ohio