From:
Geoff Malosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Geoff Malosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2016 23:07:06 -0400
Hi everyone,

For the few people left around nw. Ohio who haven't seen the Curlew
Sandpiper, it was still there all day today and made at least one very close
approach in the afternoon to the several dozen birders gathered along Raab
Road.

I also heard reports of both Short-billed and Long-billed Dowitchers there
today. While I was present, there were 8 Short-billed Dowitchers, six of
which were the expected hendersoni (prairie) subspecies, but two of which
appeared to be of the nominate griseus (Atlantic) subspecies which also
tended to stick together within the flock. I put a photo of these two birds
in my eBird checklist here (along with some close photos of the Curlew):

I don't know the status of L.g. griseus in Ohio but I presume they are
rather uncommon, at least away from Lake Erie and as far west as Toledo.
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who knows how unusual griseus is in
Ohio or has any comments on the ID of these birds.

Photos also available here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffmalosh/

Congrats again to Steve Jones for finding the remarkable Curlew Sandpiper!
The bird could not have possibly positioned itself anywhere else in North
America on any other three days to be seen by more birders than must have
seen it by now. Thanks Steve!

Geoff Malosh

Pittsburgh, PA

Geoff Malosh | Editor, Pennsylvania Birds

450 Amherst Avenue | Moon Township, PA 15108-2654 | 412.735.3128

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] |
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffmalosh/>
www.flickr.com/photos/geoffmalosh/