From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2016 01:40:43 +0000
I spent about 3 1/2 hours at Lake Erie Bluffs in Lake County this morning.  There were a quite a few warblers moving overhead to the west, but only a few were stopping.  I ended up seeing 16 species with the most notable being a prothonotary.  Other birds of note were a pair of merlins that acted like they might be nesting pair.  Merlins nested here a few years ago.  Also of note was a long-eared owl that was being chased and harassed by a group of blue jays.  The wind switched more west-northwest by 9:00 and migration ceased.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
May 16, 2016 6:50 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.5 mile(s)
Comments:     there were warblers flying over heading west early.  By 9:00 the wind switched more west and migration ceased.
101 species

Canada Goose  2
Mallard  3
Red-breasted Merganser  6
Double-crested Cormorant  26
American Bittern  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  16
Sharp-shinned Hawk  2
Bald Eagle  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Woodcock  1
Bonaparte's Gull  3
Ring-billed Gull  212
Herring Gull  31
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Caspian Tern  1
Common Tern  8
Mourning Dove  5
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Barred Owl  1
Long-eared Owl  1     A long-eared owl was being chased and harassed by a group of blue jays.  It was in an area with dense grape tangles.
Chimney Swift  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2     Breeding locally
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  4
American Kestrel  1
Merlin  2     possible breeding pair?  Birds were seen flying together  at the west end of the property.  Merlins nested here several years ago.
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Willow Flycatcher  1
Least Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird  5
Warbling Vireo  14
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  12
Blue Jay  230
American Crow  8
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  45
Purple Martin  4
Tree Swallow  12
Bank Swallow  240
Barn Swallow  16
Cliff Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  13
Carolina Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  7
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  1
Veery  5
Swainson's Thrush  9
Wood Thrush  8
American Robin  31
Gray Catbird  94     Catbirds were numerous in the expansive old field area.
Brown Thrasher  2
European Starling  26
Cedar Waxwing  3
Ovenbird  1
Northern Waterthrush  2
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Prothonotary Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  38
American Redstart  9
Magnolia Warbler  4
Bay-breasted Warbler  3
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  16
Chestnut-sided Warbler  3
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  16
Wilson's Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  3
Field Sparrow  2
White-crowned Sparrow  7
White-throated Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  68     Numerous singing birds throughout the area.
Lincoln's Sparrow  4
Swamp Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  5
Scarlet Tanager  1