From:
Stefan Minnig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Minnig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2016 02:24:44 +0000
A Red-Necked Grebe is still present as of 6pm at a small pond off of State Route 287, just south of Middleburg, Ohio in Logan County. This is undoubtedly the same bird first reported May 1 and is theorized by others I've talked with to be injured in some way, due to the fact that it has been present in the pond so long. Nothing visually stands out to me to back up the prior statement. When I initially saw the bird on May 1, it was going through the motions of taking off, but only traveled with good speed 50-80 feet down the pond before settling back down in the water. Since this time, I've only seen it floating. Today the grebe was floating at the edge of the pond nearest to the road with good visuals. Of course that makes sense, as my camera was at home.

Stefan Minnig