From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2016 11:52:02 +0000
Yesterday morning, Tuesday, at about 9:00AM, I had an hour and a half, last walk of the season, at this Lucas County site. While on my pleasant beach trek, I recorded twenty-five species of birds, the highlight being my first of the year Alder Flycatcher, heard and seen. Other birds of interest were two Ruddy Turnstones, three adult White-crowned Sparrows, a Brown Thrasher, three Eastern Kingbirds, a Swainson's Thrush, and two adult Bald Eagles sitting at the end of the beach, paying no attention to me. During my walk, I retrieved three balloons and their streamer like strings, all entangled in the brush at the top of the beach. One had a message attached, a tribute to Alexandra (May 21, 2006 - July 9, 2006). The message read, "These Balloons were released in honour of Alex's Tenth Birthday. Would you do us the pleasure of letting us know where they landed? Please email where you found Alex's Balloons at [log in to unmask]". I complied with the location of my find. I then received the message, "Thank you for responding Bob. The balloons were released in Colchester Ontario". A little research showed that Colchester is just west of Point Pelee National Park. So the released balloon would have drifted southwesterly about thirty miles, from the Canada side of Lake Erie to the south shore in Ohio, finally coming to land at East Beach. A straight line path would have passed directly over West Sister Island. It is amazing how far a released balloon can travel before reaching it's final resting place. My wife Denise and my spring visits to the Ottawa-Lucas Area totaled seventeen days this year. 200 bird species were recorded in 2016, down from 205 in 2015. Another spring migration gone by.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County