From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2016 15:04:17 +0000
I birded the bluffs this morning on the trail and wooded areas west of Lane Road.  There were a lot of waxwings moving west along the lake, none stopped.  there were 16 species of warblers including 7 mournings and a chat.  All of the flycatchers were found including 3 alder and an olive-sided.  There were several kettles of turkey vultures, which were probably locals, but they seemed to attract some hawks.  Hawks found were northern harrier, sharp-shinned, broad-winged, and red-tailed.  A merlin was sighted, but may be nesting locally.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
May 25, 2016 6:45 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
99 species

Canada Goose  34
Mallard  2
Double-crested Cormorant  3
American Bittern  2
Turkey Vulture  88
Northern Harrier  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  2
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  7
Killdeer  1
American Woodcock  1
Ring-billed Gull  214
Herring Gull  23
Mourning Dove  5
Black-billed Cuckoo  2
Great Horned Owl  1
Chimney Swift  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  4
American Kestrel  1
Merlin  1
Olive-sided Flycatcher  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  2
Acadian Flycatcher  2
Alder Flycatcher  3
Willow Flycatcher  16
Least Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  5
Eastern Kingbird  11
Warbling Vireo  9
Philadelphia Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  17
Blue Jay  233
American Crow  5
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  58
Purple Martin  11
Tree Swallow  15
Bank Swallow  290
Barn Swallow  6
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  12

Sedge Wren  1
Marsh Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Veery  8
Gray-cheeked Thrush  2
Swainson's Thrush  15
Wood Thrush  16
American Robin  32
Gray Catbird  78
Brown Thrasher  1
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  35
Cedar Waxwing  1640     Numerous flocks of 40-50+ were heading west along the lake
Ovenbird  1
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  3
Mourning Warbler  7
Common Yellowthroat  31
American Redstart  19
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  2
Bay-breasted Warbler  8
Yellow Warbler  115
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Canada Warbler  3
Wilson's Warbler  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  1
Chipping Sparrow  5
Field Sparrow  4
White-crowned Sparrow  6     one group of 6 near the bank swallow overlook
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  47
Lincoln's Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  5