From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2016 21:37:00 -0400
Greetings!

I played hooky from work...(which I'm glad I did cause I had a flat tire
half way to Upper Sandusky.) I would say that I started birding at Killdeer
Plains...but the shorebird birding was dismal. So I started birding for the
day up at Upper (Sandusky) getting the Western Tanager. :-D  The owner of
the house came out a talked with us for a while and as if on cue, it just
appeared right in front of our eyes. She had some pretty good yard birds
all together.  Her yard count list I made is a high count feeder watch.

I then piddled around Killdeer Plains Pond 30 for a bit with Ron Sempier
and John Games.

Then headed over to Lawrence Woods for some quiet weekday birding...and as
I was leaving, I got point blank 15 feet away Magee Marsh-esque views of a
pair of Scarlet Tanagers...at one point, one flew right in front of me, so
close I could reach out and grab it. :-D  Somehow I missed Greg Miller and
his crew coming in, but they eventually passed me as we were making my way
out..I go reeeealy slow when I go through those woods. :-D  they got the
Boblinks I reported last time, and I got the Veery they found
today...win/win. :-D  I had 75 species for the day when I left Lawrence
Woods and added 5 more by the time I got home...nice day all around. :-D

Lists of the majors below.

Happy birding and God bless!

Steve J.

US-Ohio-Upper Sandusky-Wyandot, Ohio, US
May 3, 2016 8:40 AM - 11:20 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     <br />Submitted from eBird Android 1.0.4
21 species

Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  2
Mourning Dove  6
Chimney Swift  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  4
Carolina Chickadee  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
American Robin  4
European Starling  3
Chipping Sparrow  3
White-crowned Sparrow  4
White-throated Sparrow  4
Western Tanager  1     Continuing bird.  Reddish/orange head, yellow body,
black wings with yellow wing bars.
Northern Cardinal  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  4
Baltimore Oriole  1
American Goldfinch  2
House Sparrow  5

View this checklist online at

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve--Woods Boardwalk, Hardin, Ohio, US
May 3, 2016 2:15 PM - 5:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     <br />Submitted from eBird Android 1.0.4
61 species

Canada Goose  5
Wood Duck  2
Ring-necked Pheasant  2