From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2016 13:10:39 -0400
I spent the morning at these two parks along the Scioto.  Scioto Audubon is familiar to most of you, but Scioto Grove is the most recent addition to our MetroParks, and it's further south along the Scioto, encompassing a large swath of old fields and riverine forest down near Grove City.  Both had decent #s of migrants this morning, which attests to their ability to attract migrants even on nice days.  I spent an hour in each and had the following highlights

Green Heron - 1 was flying up the river at Audubon
Shorebirds - both sites had Solitary Sandpipers and small #s of Spotted Sandpipers
Raptors - an adult Red-shouldered hawk at Audubon was unusual for there
Flycatchers - Grove had 3 Great Crested, while Audubon had 1; both had several E.Kingbirds
Vireos - Audubon had lots of Warbling along its cottonwood- & sycamore-studded riverfront, while Grove, with its maple-dominated floodplain, had more Red-eyed
Swallows - both had small numbers of Tree, Barn, Rough-winged , and Bank Swallows
Kinglets, Gnatcatchers - 2 Ruby-crowned were still at Grove, while both sites had plenty of gnatcatchers
Thrushes - the dense forest at Grove had 3-4 Wood Thrushes and 2 Swainson's
Mimids - Catbirds were common at both sites, but Grove also had Mockingbird and Thrasher

Warblers - Yellow-rumped were easily the most common at both sites, but Audubon had Yellows, Palms, and Cape Mays as the next most common, while Grove had Blackburnians, Com.Yellowthroats, and Prothonotaries as the next most common.  Audubon had 8 species, while Grove had 12, including my FOS Black-thr.Blue

Buntings,Grosbeaks - both had Indigo Buntings and Rose-br.grosbeaks, though more were at Grove
Sparrows - both had flocks of White-throateds, but Grove also had a singing Vesper in its fields
Orioles - both had plenty of Baltimores (7-8) and both had single singing Orchards