From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2016 18:02:23 +0000
 After being stuck inside for a couple of weeks with bronchitis I'm finally out of the house. I made a bee line yesterday and today to two of my favorite areas on my nest box trail to make up for lost time. Over the two days I visitedĀ Old Sunbury Road and Area N and observed a combined total of 50 Prothonotary Warblers. A great pick me up after being stuck indoors.
Dr. Christopher Tonra and graduateĀ assistants Elizabeth Ames and Bernadette Rigley have been busy banding additional Prothonotary Warblers in addition to the 47 they banded in 2015. Yesterday I learned they had banded an additional 30 PROWs this year. Today I met Elizabeth as she was banding PROWs in Area N. The number has climbed further as at one time Elizabeth was banding one PROW when two more flew into her mist net. She has already banded others this morning. I mentioned in a previous report that if you observe a Prothonotary Warbler at Hoover Reservoir that has been banded, please try to note the band colors by their placement on the right and left leg. Forward the information to Elizabeth or to myself.
Dr. Tonra has now recovered additional geolocators that were attached to birds in 2015. Dr. Tonra is participating in a national study of Prothonotary warblers and their movements from nesting territory to their wintering grounds. 30 years after first getting involved with the PROWs I may finally learn where they overwinter (a place warmer that I do).
Charlie BombaciHoover Nature Preserve