OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:29:23 -0400
We were particularly excited to have two pairs of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
and two Baltimore Orioles coming to our feeders this spring.  This lasted
for about 3 weeks; we were delighted to think they were nesting here.  But
now we haven't seen them for the past 2-3 weeks.  Today, though, I've been
hearing a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  If he's come to a feeder, I wasn't here
to see him.

Although our small woodlot did have some emergent cicadas, we didn't have
enough for them to stick around, apparently.  The cicada drone we hear is
coming from a woodlot across a large mowed area perhaps a quarter mile from
us or across the highway to the north.

I wonder if "our" grosbeaks and orioles have followed the cicadas to where
there's a concentration?  Has anyone else seen this kind of disappearance?
Of course, we'll never know if the birds would have stayed and nested.

I'd appreciate others' observations and thoughts.

Helen Ostermiller
southern Medina County in NE Ohio