OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2016 18:54:42 -0400
I spent most of the morning at parks along the main rivers in these 2 north Columbus suburbs.  In Dublin, I stopped at Kiwanis, Kozcuiscko, Donegal Cliffs, BrandonWoods, and CoventryWoods; I avoided the northern part of the Scioto Gorge, with its attendant parking headaches from the Memorial Golf Tournament.  In Worthington, I birded both the Olentangy Greenway Park and Antrum Lake.  No place had any lingering migrants, but I did find some unusual summer residents, including:

Red-shouldered Hawks - single calling birds were at both BrandonWoods and at Antrum Lake, a mark of just how regular they've become along central Ohio riparian areas

Acadian Flycatchers - they're not common here, so a pair and calling single at both Coventry Woods and Koscuiscko Park were notable.

Gnatcatchers - they've become the warbler-replacement at many urban parks here; they were at every stop

WoodThrush - the only one was a single singer at Coventry Woods

Prothonotary Warbler - the pair at Kiwanis were putting on quite a show, especially the singing male

Parula Warbler - the only one was singing along the Olentangy Greenway in Worhtington

Yellow-throated Warblers - only at Donegal Cliffs along the Scioto, they were along the Olentangy in spades, with 2 apiece at the Olentangy Greenway and at Antrum Lake

Louisiana Waterthrush - 1 was singing along the river at Kiwanis, not a spot where they've bred.