OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2016 10:11:38 -0400
This morning I took a walk in West Creek Reservation (Cuyahoga County) from Center Park. I went south to the end of the park and back.
I heard two black-billed cuckoos - not surprisingly near where the cicadas were making their racket.
I saw a red-headed woodpecker (at the base of the hill at one end of the Greenbriar Trail), which I've never in WCR before.
I saw a sharp-shinned hawk just south of the Garden City Bridge. Two red-bellied woodpeckers were going crazy, which alerted me to the small raptor perched in a tree.
I also had the pleasure of watching a robin demonstrate how to "shell" a cicada. It grasped the bug in just the right spot, and then beat the insect on some boards on a bridge deck until its wings and upper shell came off.

Thanks to Patti Donnellan who is a Naturalist at the Watershed Stewardship Center at West Creek Reservation for telling me where I might find the cicadas in the park and for sharing some of the things she saw while in Alabama like huge flocks of Sandhill Cranes and Whooping Cranes.