OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
Jim Tomko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:20:45 -0500
Often when we see a pair of birds, especially during migration time, repeatedly we assume they are the same pair.  And they may very well be.  But without tagging or marking them in some way it can't be said for sure that they are the same pair day after day.  You may have had multiple pairs moving through for several weeks on their way to finding and establishing a nesting territory.  Feeder count bird densities are often underestimated due to the observer assuming it is the same bird making repetitive visits.  So they may have wanted to be in the "thick" of the cicadas or they may instead have wanted to include that tall Cottonwood down the block in their territory or they may have moved further north.

Jim Tomko