OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2016 08:21:41 -0400
Hello!

Yesterday, after doing a morning walk at Stillfork Swamp Nature Preserve in Carroll County, I decided to try to see/hear the Sedge Wrens that have been seen along Wilderness Rd. (Wayne Co.).  It only took about 5 minutes after I got out of my car to hear the first bird singing about 50’ off of the road (the brushy area near the telephone poles at the end of the road about 1/4 mile off of Elyria Rd.).  I also heard a 2nd bird singing a bit to the left and a possible 3rd bird further back, but as the heavy machinery at the mulch plant was working it was not easy to hear anything too far back.  I did get a brief glimpse of one of the birds doing it’s “struggling” flight style low over the brush.  Great birds….now to find one in Carroll!

After that, I planned to go to Mohican State Park to listen for nesting species special to the deep Hemlock ravines that make Mohican such a remarkable place.  I parked by the Covered Bridge and then walked up to Lyons Falls and back.  I left the camera in the car and planned on a slow, listening walk.  It was interesting to note that as I descended down Mohican Park Rd. 51 toward the covered bridge area the songs of Wood Thrushes changed to Veery songs once the Hemlocks began to dominate the landscape.  In the Covered Bridge parking area, a male Cerulean Warbler was singing from the Sycamore trees.  Veery were heard all throughout the area from the parking lot all the way up to Lyons Falls.  About halfway up to the falls, I heard a Winter Wren singing, so I stopped and recorded it.  It was very close and singing nicely.  If you look up my eBird list, you can listen to that file as well as a recording of a Veery.

I also saw a Louisiana Waterthrush, as well as hearing Black-throated Green, Hooded, American Redstart, and more Cerulean Warblers along the way.  Yellow-throated Vireos were also heard at several spots along the way, as well as many Red-eyed Vireos (as expected this time of year in Ohio).

If you go birding at Mohican this time of year, which is a nice choice to escape the heat (take your insect repellent) and listen to great nesting birds in Ohio, you have to bear in mind that the park is very busy.  The sound of loud motorcycle exhaust pipes and the exuberant voices of hikers and day trippers can make listening a challenge from time to time.  I use those moments to try to learn to be more patient.

I have included my eBird list from Mohican below.

Jon Cefus
Carroll Co.

Mohican SP--Covered Bridge, Ashland, Ohio, US
Jun 18, 2016 4:48 PM - 6:37 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Covered Bridge area and Lyons Falls trail. <br />Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.2.1 Build 65
30 species (+1 other taxa)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  2
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  1
Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica)  3
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  2
Acadian Flycatcher (Empidonax virescens)  4
Empidonax sp. (Empidonax sp.)  1
Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons)  3
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  12
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis)  2
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis)  2
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  3
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  2
Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis)  1     Singing.  See Audio file.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea)  2
Veery (Catharus fuscescens)  8     Many singing along trails.  See audio for example.
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)  2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  4
Louisiana Waterthrush (Parkesia motacilla)  1
Hooded Warbler (Setophaga citrina)  4
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  1
Cerulean Warbler (Setophaga cerulea)  2
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  1
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea)  3
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  2
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  1
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30286282 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30286282>

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org <http://ebird.org/>)