OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2016 20:57:55 +0000
  We launched the H.M.S. Hoover today and monitored the section of Hoover Reservoir's east shore from Twin Bridges south to Land of the Lakes. Later we took a side trip north of Twin Bridges to check the progress of the eaglets. The morning wasn't too bad with reasonable temperatures and a slight breeze. The afternoon was a different affair as the breeze abandoned us and the temperature shot up. The birds seemed to care less unlike us humans. In the long run the activity make it manageable.
The Prothonotary Warblers as usual did not disappoint as we located 37. They are now busy going at a manic pace to feed hungry mouths. I admit to being very bias on this account, but to me a male Prothonotary Warbler with sunlight striking its breast is hard to top for sheer beauty and vivid color. Most of today's birds were south of the area where Dr. Tonra and the graduate students have been banding the Prothonotaries although there was a male with a silver lag band. Further north we did encounter several with the colored leg bands. At last report 8 of the Prothonotaries that had geolocators attached to them last year have been re captured and the geolocators recovered. I was informed that the first bird had spent the winter in Columbia.
Red-headed Woodpeckers were in good numbers today as we saw 16 in the area we were monitoring. Some were soaring up from perches to catch flying insects and then coming back to the original perch. As they flew they were a stunning sight with vivid colors. For just red, white and black they are extremely handsome.
Great Blue Herons were very active as they too have many hungry mouths to tend to. There are a couple of rookeries in the vicinity of Hoover Reservoir. Green Herons were scarce today as old a few were seen.
We observe a Black Vulture much of the morning. Not so long ago this would have been a rare sight at Hoover Reservoir but now they are being seen more regularly and in increased numbers.
We observed three Yellow-billed Cuckoos. Two seem to be paired and we watched then forage in the trees at the water's edge. This often elusive species was anything but today.
Cliff Swallow are feeding hatchlings under every bridge at Hoover. Several colonies numbered up to 100 nests made of mud and adhering to the bridge structure. Little heads were poking out waiting for the next meal.
We tallied 63 species, most of which are currently feeding this year's young. The variety was very diverse and seemed to have something for everyone.
Charlie BombaciHoover Nature Preserve