OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:50:13 +0000
Today, Tuesday, about 3:00PM, we went in search of what would be a life bird for both of us, the Lawrence's Warbler Jeff Harvey had found early Sunday morning. Immediately upon arriving at the site, there it was, the all glowing yellow beauty with it's jet black eye-patch and throat, along with a female Blue-winged Warbler. Both birds moved back and forth across the road appearing to be on territory. Our first look and best viewing was on the north side, high bank side, of the road. The Lawrence's was sometimes vocal, singing what seemed to be very similar to the Blue-winged/Golden-winged hybrid song on Track 4 of The Division of Wildlife "Warblers of Ohio" CD. To reach The Sheepskin Hollow State Nature Preserve location, go east a total of 2.4 miles from the intersection with SR170 on Pancake-Clarkson Road (TR1031), after crossing the bridge over Little Beaver Creek, continue thru the underpass and go clear to the top of the hill to the signed Sheepskin parking lot on the right. Park and walk down the road to the east a couple hundred feet, you are now directly under the high tension line. The Pennsylvania State line is another 0.3 mile to the east at the unmarked road intersection, no Ohio, no Pennsylvania state line signs. If you wish to see The Sheepskin Hollow gorge, return back down the hill 0.8 mile to the underpass area and park along the road, and walk south along the old railroad bed about a half mile to the trail on the left, that goes down into the rocky hollow. Of note, on our way home, on Little Beaver Creek just west of the town of Fredericktown, on Old Fredericktown Road, we had a Common Merganser family consisting of mom and fifteen, nearly full sized kids.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County