OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2016 20:21:26 +0000
 Shaune Skinner and I had the H.M.S. Hoover out in today's heat to search for new Prothonotary Warbler territories. We scouted the east shore of Hoover Reservoir from Lake of the Woods south to the inlets at Area S, then we crossed to the west shore to check areas with potential habitat from Area E north to the Red Bank Launch Area.  Over the years we had never covered these areas and now we wonder how many Prothonotary Warbler territories we missed. We were able to pinpoint 12 territories out of 16 singing males. When added to the previously located territories the conclusion is that the Prothonotaries are having a very good year.

Almost all the observed male Prothonotories graced us by coming out into the open and showing off from an advantageous perch. Shaune used a lot of her camera's memory card today. At multiple locations we had both the male and female foraging to feed their young. One interesting nest site was in an old woodpecker hole in a Black Willow  tree about 30 feet out into the reservoir. The adults would fly to the flora on shore and return to the nest time after time. The kids best learn to fly quickly or take swimming lessons.

Red-headed Woodpeckers were also in good numbers. We observed them at 8 sites, usually bringing food t the nest. This year Shaune and I have located about 30 Red-headed Woodpecker nest sites at Hoover. They seem to be everywhere. From other posting I sense some others are having difficulty locating the species. Could the problem stem from something affecting the ecology of the areas?

Overall we observed about 60 species today. Not up to par with a spring migration's day but still decent for birding by boat.
Charlie Bombaci