OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2016 06:13:05 -0400
I did an extensive bike trip along the middle section of the Alum Creek Greenway yesterday morning, and despite some flooded sections of the trail (which will be worse today), managed to get almost the entire length between Innis Park and the Oxbow of 3-Creeks.  This is the most urban part of an urban greenbelt, but it still had decent resident birds.  Highlights included:

Willow Flycatchers - they're still hanging on in the meadows down near St 104 and the Oxbow area
Acadian Flycatchers - singles were in the most grown-back forest patches in both these areas
Vireos - plenty of Warbling and Red-eyed all along the trail, despite limited habitat for the latter.
Wood Thrushes - many at Oxbow (which is the largest forest block), but none anywhere else
Parula Warbler - singers along most of the trail; they've become as common as Yellow-throated
Yellow-throated Warbler - plenty of them, with 7-8 over the entire stretch
Yellow Warbler - lots down around St 104 (same habitat as Willow Flycatcher)
Black&White Warbler - 1 male was singing at Innis, but no evidence of a female or nest
Com.Yellowthroat - 2 singers down near St. 104 underpass and Oxbow
White-throated Sparrow - an anomalous bird was singing at Innis.  It's the first summering bird I've had anywhere along this greenbelt, despite sizeable wintering flocks
Orchard Oriole - a few were below Innis Park, but none were down in the southern parts of the greenbelt