OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:31:08 -0400
For the last several years, white pelicans have become more and more common
in and around Lake Erie.  Several weeks ago, Teddi Pertner from Middle Bass
Island and her grandson Zach, traveled to the Chick Islands which are
nothing more than rocky outcroppings in Canadian waters north of Middle
Bass Island.  They have been reporting pelicans from this spot for the last
three years in spring and summer.  Two weeks ago they reported 50+.  I have
been sharing their reports with birders on Pelee Island and the Pelee
Island Bird Observatory.

Yesterday, Rob Tymstra of Pelee Island traveled to the Chicks and reports
finding 5 pelican nests with eggs.  So it appears that pelicans have final
began to nest in the Lake Erie region.  Now we need to find them in Ohio.
One of the most likely sites might be Starve Island off South Bass.  But
high water levels this year makes it unlikely.  Maybe next year...

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio