OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2016 20:24:31 -0400
Inspired by Kurt Grenig and his Firecracker 40 event in Parma, I decided
just for fun to see if I could get 40 on the 4th here at Valhalla Acres,
our farm property on Flint Ridge in western Muskingum County.

It wasn't the easiest of endeavors, particularly with the rainy day keeping
the overflights of vultures and hawks down to zilch. But this evening while
we tended to the animal chores the 39th and 40th finally appeared in the
form of a goldfinch and a Carolina chickadee. I was glad because I was
going to have to go out to the back forty in concentrated pursuit. So
exactly 40 species, nothing really unusual, just most of the usual. It was
fun, particularly as a "yard" exercise. I know I have a good "yard," but
it's nice to confirm that. Thanks to Kurt for the idea.

Conspicuous by their absence (I know they are around): vultures and hawks,
pileated woodpecker, brown thrasher, orioles, hooded warbler (although one
was still singing in the hollow yesterday), flyover geese.

On a sunnier day, soon, I'm going to try for 50.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County