OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2016 04:26:00 -0400
As a break from the heat, I ventured down to these two cool gorge areas in Highland County, hiking trails at both Paint Creek St. Park and the Arc of Appalachia Preserves.  The cool air trapped in the gorges kept the temperature moderate, and even though I didn't get out until 10:30, the bird activity was surprising, given the mid-summer date.  Included among the landbirds were

Broad-winged Hawk - 1 was soaring and calling over the Paint Creek gorge below the dam
Yellow-billed Cuckoos - very common, calling in most forest areas
Acadian Flycatcher - the most common bird in moist gorge forests, with 30+ calling birds in 3 hours
Vireos - Red-eyed also very common, but also had White-eyed (2), Yellow-thr. (5), and Warbling (2)
Thrushes - only Woods, but they were widespread in moist ravine forests

Warblers - many Yellow-throated & Parulas in riparian areas, but also had Louisiana Waterthrushes with juveniles in both gorges.  ComYellowthroats were abundant in small meadows & fields.  Less common in forests and edges were Yellow (2), Blue-winged (1), Prairie (1), Hooded (3), Prothonotary (1), Black&White (1), Yellow-br.Chat (1)

Tanagers - Scarlets were common in both gorges (Arc had 6 in 3 hrs), while 1 Summer was at Barrett's Rim Trail in Arc of Appalachia

BlueGrosbeak - 1 was singing in a locust scrub area north of the Rapid Ford bridge on Paint Creek

Orioles - young Baltimores in many places, mostly along creeks