OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2016 20:43:11 -0400
Hello!

On my commute home just a bit ago, I watched a bird flush from the road that was almost certainly a Dark-eyed Junco.  The bird had a nice rich gray overall color with a bright white chest.  The size seemed right, but I didn’t have much to compare it with but pavement and grass at 35 mph.  I was driving east on Antiqua Rd. SW a bit past Cactus Rd (edge of woods as opposed to the open pastures around the woods)   If I were to put it on an out of 10 scale for certainty (whatever that means), I would score it a 9/10 as good for Dark-eyed Junco (slate-colored).

I thought that might be noteworthy in mid-July.  There are a few deep ravines in this area that run down toward Leesville Lake to the “north" and Atwood Lake to the “south” (directions are strangely pointless in relation to roads in Carroll), so I suppose that it is possible that a male attempted to nest, or perhaps even some pair found each other in a little microhabitat, if such a spot exists.  There is a definite lack of Hemlock though, which is a negative.  Or perhaps he was an early wanderer.  Or perhaps…. <insert narrative here>

Anyway, that’s the latest from Carroll Co. on this very warm July evening.  The Ospreys have fledged and the Yellow Warblers seem to have disappeared in just a few days time…

Take care,

Jon Cefus