OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2016 01:26:58 +0000
 I was at Villa Angela and Wildwood Parks (part of Euclid Creek Reservation) on the east side of Cleveland on Lake Erie today from 10:45 to 2:40pm.  I saw the Hooded Merganser yesterday in the wetland and also Jeanne Hrenko saw it yesterday near the small sand beach just east of the marina bldg. but today I did not see it.  The only thing out of the ordinary today was in Villa Angela I saw another Black-and-White Warbler.  I had seen one on 6/25 down by Euclid Creek in Wildwood that looked like either a female or a young bird as the one picture looked like it had some fuzzy hairs around the face.  But it was washed out looking with not many black streaks.  The bird today had more black streaks below the white throat and more black streaks below and on the sides.  The Peterson's Warbler Book shows spring and fall birds but apparently after you get passed the spring they don't always have black on the throat or they have black spots.  This bird had a white throat with some finer streaks bottom of throat and more darker streaks below and sides.  The auricular strip was not real dark black but slightly darker.  I think this bird is a male but I am not sure of the age.  This bird was seen three different times near the entrance to the field north of the library.  Was not seen in the field but before you get to the field in the trees north of the east end of the field and seen from the path.  It was usually very high up and only once came down lower on a tree trunk.
Nancy Anderson, Richmond Hts,https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/