OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:53:49 -0400
This morning, 10:20, as Jane and I hiked downt into our deepest ravine at
the south end of the property, our discussion about the gathering dark
clouds of the approaching squall line was delightfully interrupted by the
song of a Louisiana waterthrush, the first I have heard in about five
weeks. (We made it home before it rained.)

As we trudge through the heat of mid-summer here at our farm, most of my
birding is by ear. Among the warblers, in addition to this morning's
waterthrush, I regularly hear common yellowthroat along the forest edges,
and hooded warblers at a couple locations in the wooded ravines. A yellow
warbler has checked in from time to time in the hollow close to the house.

Also, this year we have a white-eyed vireo singing its curious and complex
song, down in the woods by the spring. Always raises a smile...

Bob Evans
Geologist etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County