OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2016 06:45:07 -0400
We visited these two woodlands east of Columbus - the former in Reynoldsburg, the latter in Gahanna - and found a good helping of summer residents in these two woodlands surrounded by suburbia.  Perhaps the best mark of health were the raptors.  Both woods had calling Red-shouldered hawks, formerly rare here but making a good comeback in the past 5-6 years.  Blacklick Woods also had a Barred Owl show at Ashton Pond, with a mother owl snagging the ponds frogs & goldfish for two begging juveniles.  In addition there was another squalling juvenile at the other (south) end of the woods, marking two successful families here.
Other notable residents included
AmerWoodcock - 1 bird reported consistently on the Buttonbush Trail at Blacklick, but we couldn't find it
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1 singing along the Buttonbush trail
Acadian Flycatchers - good #s, with 5-6 at each park still calling
Vireos - Red-eyed were common at both, but Blacklick also had a White-eyed, and Gahanna Woods a Yellow-throated.
Wood Thrushes - also good #s, with 5-6 singing still.  They've profited from the shrub explosion beneath dead ash trees at both parks
Warblers - Both had Common Yellowthroats (who are having a very good year here), and Blacklick added a Yellow-throated and Yellow.  No forest warblers were evident at either woods, which is not unusual here.
Tanagers - both had single singing Scarlet Tanagers