OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2016

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2016 23:08:46 -0400
On my drive to work at Cardinal Health, from Powell, Ohio to Dublin, Ohio,
my route takes me across the O'Shaughnessy Dam near the Columbus Zoo. The
last couple weeks I have declining numbers of swallows and an increasing
number of Chimney Swifts. As I pass over the dam, swifts are all twisting
and turning as they gobble down aerial insects for breakfast.  With this
observation and looking at the calendar, here we are at the end of July
already. I know it is time to start checking out the large and not so large
industrial and regular size chimneys.  I do that so I can watch an annual
spectacle of nature 'the staging of Chimney Swifts' as they amass near
sunset darting lower and lower in the sky. Soon they start to circle and dip
near the chimney mouth then as darkness is imminent, they appear to be
sucked into the chimney and all is quiet.  Clinging onto the brick and
mortar walls they gather and sleep.

Last night, I decided to visit a new chimney location and broaden my swift
adventures looking for new chimneys to observe at just the right time,
sunset.  This past Sunday night, my friend Paula told me as her husband was
landing at OSU Don Scott Field after 9pm, when she recognized the chittering
sound of gathering swifts.  Last night we drove down and arrived at
8:50pmET.  There were 8 or so flying near the terminal and in 10 minutes
they doubled their numbers.  The chimney to the west of the tower must have
a story.  It is taller than the terminal and is a round large brick
structure.   Shortly after 9pm the birds were multiplying and by about
9:30pm close to 50 birds had entered the chimney.  During our time at the
back of the parking lot we had a Common Nighthawk fly across the lot from
north to south.  The first time he was very fast and quiet, the second time
he meandered and twisted and continually called in wonderful nighthawk
fashion.  What a great way to marvel about birds, see the stunning clouds
and sunset and talk birds with a friend.

The end of July is usually when the staging begins and then the fun starts
for 'swift watchers'.  The swifts congregate in communal roosts prior to
their migration in the late summer and early fall to the Amazon basin of
Peru. Some roosts may consist of an extended family group of a half a dozen
birds or so, but the larger sites can host hundreds or even thousands of
swifts!  Grab a folding chair and deal with mosquitos the best you can and
watch this amazing spectacle. Observe the roost starting about 30 minutes
before sunset and estimate the number of swifts that enter the chimney.
After the last swift enters the structure, fill out their on-line reporting
form.  The form works best when using  <http://tinyurl.com/6pskz67> Google
Chrome as your browser. Count and enter data in
<http://www.chimneyswift.org> www.chimneyswift.org. Swift Watch is the
second weekend of August and September, Aug 12, 13 and 14 and Sept 9,10 and
11 are the dates for this years' Swift Night Out.  Watch near dusk for the
sound of the swifts twittering and chittering and flying around a chimney.
Then count them as they enter the chimney and note the start and end time.

About 16 years ago, I discovered the large colony at Sells Middle School in
Dublin, Ohio where for a couple years there were over 5000 birds entering
the chimney.  Visit  <http://www.ColumbusAudubon.org>
www.ColumbusAudubon.org  under the conservation tab and click on Chimney
Swifts to read up on the swifts history and behavior in our area.  This
YouTube Video  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RNN-UvvLyQ>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RNN-UvvLyQ  will give you a sense of the show you
will see.  Take some time and look for sites in your neighborhood in old
school or business chimneys'.  Take time to report your findings and get
others excited to watch the swifts.  Take it a step further and get involved
in a swift tower conservation project.  Several are going up in the central
Ohio area.  Stop by Sells on Aug 13 and 14 and Sept 9 when I will be there
madly counting.  I will answer questions and give a brief program till it is
count time. Bring your lawn chair and you and the mosquitos will enjoy the
free show.  I check the sunrise sunset website and I try to go at least 30
minutes or more before sunset and watch the birds come in from all
directions. If it is a cloudy and overcast night, the birds will start
sooner.  Check the Columbus Audubon calendar of events and see where members
of CA will be counting swifts and can answer your questions. Please be sure
to observe private property and be a considerate bird watcher.

Darlene Sillick

Powell, Ohio