OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2016

From:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:36:07 -0400
I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek, but from what I understand the evidence was pointing toward a possible hybrid, which would be even more remarkable even though it's not "listable".  I was there the same day as several other Ohio birders took the ferry to see it.  I spent quite a bit of time looking at it with Kenn and Kim, as well as others.  I got great photos.  I believe Kenn got a recording of its interesting "song".  I do recall it responded to the Couch's song.  I also believe that Tom Bartlett was able to collect a feather that was submitted for DNA analysis, but I've not heard of any results from that.  The last time I inquired it was in June.

Regardless of what may or may not be determined about its species, it was a fun bird to watch, although somewhat heartbreaking to know it was unlikely to ever leave the island alive.

Jon Cefus
Carroll Co.

Sent from my iPhone