OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2016

From:
Elaine & Marty Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine & Marty Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:10:26 -0400
I have enjoyed the many nighthawk reports and stories since my Aug 25 post.
I guess they are all over Ohio now, preparing to migrate.

as a historical note, back in the 1960s in the Youngstown area, growing up
and several years before getting serious about birds, nighthawks were among
the few species I knew. in my recollection, they would circle the suburban
sky
most summer evenings, noticeable first by their beeps.  they were as common
in summer (seemingly) as robins and blue jays.  but for the past 30+ years
in our suburban Akron area they are rarities.

Marty Cohen