OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2016

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:45:07 +0000
 blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Hello All . . .

I arrived at the new Oliver Woods parking area about 10:45 am today and took a chair, scope, etc. for a set-up in the nearby open field area. A juvenile Mississippi Kite was soon observed soaring with a TV to the NW, behind the cut/bare-earth area, and pretty far out. The TV allowed for a nice size comparison, and I'm glad that I had a scope!

This bird could be mistaken for a Juvie RSHA, but is smaller and with all dark primaries (no windows), indistinct barring in the tail, tail shape flared at corners, and also with a white throat (unlike RSHA). This was at about 11:00 am. I saw it again briefly at  11:35 am, but much further away.

As I've been out of State since these kites were first reported, I don't know if any juvenile birds have been seen/reported since then, but this would confirm a suspected nesting situation for this area. It may now become more difficult to re-find these birds as they may forage further away from the nest location and may eventually disperse to other areas. Hopefully, they will return here to nest again next year?

Good Birding,

Dan Sanders

Central Ohio

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone