OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2016

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:02:33 -0400
I was fortunate enough to see my second Ohio juvenile White Ibis yesterday (8/15) in Butler County after seeing my first one two days earlier at Englewood MetroPark (Montgomery County). The Butler County bird isn't as reliable, as I dipped on my first attempt to see it on 8/13.  It associates with and feeds near a flock of Mallards ignoring the Great Egrets, unlike the Montgomery County ibis.   It is definitely a different bird, as my photographs show white feathers in the wings of the Butler County ibis that are not present in the first one.

The "and more" are birds which have been reported by other birders but which I did not see. Charlie Saunders found a Baird's Sandpiper on 8/13; Les Houser got photos. Les and Jon Fodge also found and photographed a NEOTROPIC CORMORANT in the area on the 13th;  Mike Busam, Steve Pelican, and Charlie found TWO at the White Ibis site on 8/14 and Steve has photos of one. At least two other birders and myself all dipped on the cormorants on the 15th, but there is a lot of territory where they could be hiding.

Directions to Gilmore MetroPark (Gilmore Ponds) from I-275:  Take Rt 4 north towards Fairfield, turn right on Bypass 4, then left on Symmes Rd. Turn right at Bilstein Rd and park in the small lot at the end.

Take the gravel path north, turn left and cross a small wooden bridge over the ditch. Continue northwest on the grass path to the observation deck that overlooks Cattail Marsh. (Trail map available at the Butler County MetroPark site.)

Kathi Hutton
Reporting from Clermont County

Sent from iVan II, my iPhone