OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2016

From:
Tom Fishburn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fishburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2016 20:53:12 -0400

I don't know what happened to my resident Common Nighthawk (here in Berea, Cuyahoga County) as I have not heard a peenz since August 19th.  But last evening I heard one thinking at first it was my buddy.  A quick look out the window and I got a closer than usual quick glimpse before he was out of sight.  Not really expecting to see him return as often he spends time over the McDonald's further west (my window looks south and the west is blocked).  I prepared my camera anyway and positioned myself by the open window and watched awhile as the swifts zoomed around.  Next thing I see one, no two, no four, wait there must be at least eight Common Nighthawks zooming back and forth feeding in the apartment courtyard.  Almost too close for my 400mm lens.  Within 20 minutes of their feeding frenzy I shot 150 images trying to follow and focus.  While the light was dimming I increased the ISO and hoped.
The last 7 photos in this album of 12 are from Friday evening.  This link will take you to my favorite:
https://fowlman1954.smugmug.com/Nature/Species-of-Creation/Bird-Species/Swallows-Swifts/Goatsuckers-Nightjars-Nighthaw/Nighthawks/i-m5K4MKs
Good summer birding!
Tom Fishburn
Berea, OHhttps://fowlman1954.smugmug.com/Nature

"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it,
      but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."   John 3:8
"Better a little faith, dearly won,
     better launched alone on the infinite bewilderment of truth, than perish on the splendid plenty of the richest creeds."  Henry Drummond (1851-1897)