OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

From:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2016 11:53:13 -0400
I enjoyed reading this, Bill.  Thanks for posting. We birder's all have the geekiness factor!

Actually, one of the participants, Laura Keene, is from Ohio and has scored a number of her birds right here is our good state! She is only the second female to see and pass 700 birds in the ABA in one year and is having the time of her life. She is also currently spending the month roughing it in Alaska, which will be a story to tell in itself.

As for the cost, it is, as the article states, hideously expensive; but they do it with little to no luxury. It is a personal choice and commitment. I have seen tours offered from the elite tour groups that cost 1/3 of what they have spent doing this. Luxury cars can cost as much. I doubt that any of them will regret a single penny spent.

A North American big year is indeed a huge undertaking and not for the faint of heart or spirit...a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most. Kudos to them all!  I applaud their efforts and personally follow and support two of the participants. I am especially proud of Laura, one of our own, who is now part of history.

Leslie

Sent from my iPad