OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2016 20:54:57 -0400
A friend and I watched Chimney Swifts come in to roost in the chimney of the old John J. Carroll Building, next to the Park National Bank, in downtown Newark. At first, we counted single birds, but as they began streaming into the chimney, we counted by 10s. Our best estimate was 1200 birds, and that may be a low count. The birds started diving into the chimney at 8:05, and were done by 8:28.  They seemed to come in waves from the east or northeast.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co.