OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2016 20:23:45 +0000
 While doing maintenance on my nest boxes along the east shore of Hoover Reservoir I was in the area of Pelican Island. The water has receded quite far at this location and there are good mudflats from the Eastshore Yacht Club north to Pelican Island. There was a wide selection of shorebirds feeding along the water's edge and up into the mudflats.  There was also a sandbar covered with Ring-billed Gulls and some Caspian Terns. It should be noted that the mud s still very moist and one will sink into it quickly. Wear appropriate footware if you go there.
Shorebird species observed include Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, Grater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Sandering, Semipalmated sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper and Dowitcher.
There were many Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets and a couple of Green Herons.
Other  birds included Red-headed Woodpeckers, Cedar Waxwings, Black Vulture, Bald Eagle, Osprey and a Barred Owl.
Charlie Bombaci