OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

From:
Tim Spahr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Spahr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2016 12:27:06 -0400
Hi Bill, and my home-state birders:

I agree with your suggestion to post sightings to the list.  I disagree
strongly with your characterization of anything but the list as 'some
obscure gossip site'.  Curiously I despise and do not use most social media
but you won't catch me maligning it as  social media are invaluable
resources and extremely effective means of communication.  Whether you like
it or not, Twitter and especially Facebook (and eBird!!) have actually
swelled the ranks of birders, and improved bird reporting and
identification.  They have in no way damaged birding.

To steer this conversation back to birding, the fallout of seabirds in the
Tucson area will go down as one of the most amazing birding events in
recent memory.  I lived (very!) vicariously through the posts of all the
birders seeing *first ABA area records* from their own driveways.  I'd
encourage folks to give the AZ/NM listserve a look.

good birding to all

Tim Spahr
Former Ohio birder and now ex-pat in Massachusetts