OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2016 01:07:53 +0000
 I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood Parks (part of Euclid Creek Reservation) on the east side of Cleveland today on Lake Erie.  I was there after the rain stopped at 10am til 3:30pm.  The only other time it rained was when the lake got real windy with a real hard rain for about 3 mins at 2:55pm.  I spent most of my time in Villa Angela.  I was able to walk around and find warblers and then when they were gone I would refind them in at least seven areas so I was never bored.  I did pickup a few new species each time. I had 15 species of warblers and a few were missed and not many vireos.  Here is some of what I saw:
Black-crowned Night-Heron 2 juveniles, Eastern Phoebe 1 (resident), Least Flycatcher 1, E.W. Pewee 1, Emp Flycatcher 1, Warbling Vireo 1, Philadelphia Vireo 1 (WW) Red-breasted Nuthatch 1, Swainson's Thrush 11 (WW & VA),
Warblers: Tennesse 1, Nashville 2, Northern Parula 2, Chesnut-sided 1 juv, Magnolia 7, Black-throated Blue 2(m&f), Blackburnian 1, Bay-breasted 2, Blackpoll 10, Black-and-White 5, Redstart 2, Ovenbirds 2 (together), Mourning 1 adult female (had gray all the way down to breast-no eye ring), Common Yellowthroat 2 (WW only), Wilson's 8 (3WW, 6VA),
Only one Song Sparrow, heard squeaking of Grosbeak south of bathhouse but didn't see, many Gray Catbirds, Chimney Swifts 8, House Wren 1.
I initially saw warblers near entrance to field, then walked around to silver maple woods and walked east in thickets saw birds in there and then warblers were in birch/alder woods nearby, then later they were south of bathhouse both sides of asphalt path, many were in trees along Euclid Creek high up and far out south of bathhouse above creek, then they were near grassy knoll, then they were south end of main woods (just north of entrance to field where the asphalt is, then they were in Villa Angela woods between both paths closer to grassy areas, then they were north and west end of grassy knoll where you could see them better and then it started to thunder around 2:50pm.  I saw the Mourning Warbler two places but was not able to get pictures of most of what I saw near asphalt area of main woods and other side just east of silver maple woods.
I then went to Sims Park in Euclid  from 3:45 to 4:15pm but didn't see much there.  I did see one Black-and-White Warbler 1, one Magnolia Warbler, three Blackpolls when I realized that all the Black-and-White Warblers I was seeing at Villa Angela was not the same one over and over because I kept seeing them everywhere I looked today at Villa Angela.
Nancy Anderson,Richmond Hts,https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/