OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
Dave Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:12:45 -0400
Hello All,

Very interesting thoughts from Bill.  I've been interested in this question
from the perspective of butterfly (and moth) distributions as we try to
document whether observed changes indicate actual ecological
circumstances or just reflect the intensity of observation.  The documented
Ohio distributions of Lepidoptera species strongly reflects the
distribution of entomologists especially until the mid-20th century.
Cuyahoga, Franklin, Hamilton, Lucas and Montgomery Counties have long lists
mainly because that's where most of the collectors were.  I wonder whether
so many earlier central Ohio bird records simply are because Wheaton,
Trautman, Thomas et al. were from Columbus.  Additionally those pioneers
did most of their birding closer to home.  The Interstate Highway system
has made it easy for a central Ohioan to spend a day birding along Lake
Erie but I recollect Milt Trautman telling me how long it took to drive a
Model T from Columbus to Buckeye Lake on old US 40 (which was paved, and
that was unusual).

Bird on,

Dave Horn
Worcester, MA