OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
Matthew Kovach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Kovach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2016 02:56:25 +0000
Apologies on the delay in reporting this, but Sunday morning, October 2nd, a group of 8-10 birders from the Rally for Rails conference visited Great Egret Marsh in Marblehead, Ohio (immediately west of East Harbor State Park). The mud flats found within the main wetland unit hosted a good diversity of shorebirds. While I didn't record numbers of individuals, we had at least a few of each species, other than the phalaropes. Highlights of the day were the shorebirds, with the following species present:

Black-bellied plover
Semipalmated plover
Dunlin
Pectoral sandpiper
Least sandpiper
Red-necked phalarope (2 individuals)
Dowitcher sp.
Greater Yellowlegs
Caspian Tern (20+ have been using Great Egret Marsh as a roost site for the past month or so)

For more information about Great Egret Marsh, please visit: http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/ohio/placesweprotect/great-egret-marsh-preserve.xml

Happy birding!

Matthew Kovach
Lake Erie Coasts & Islands Project Manager
419.627.7564
nature.org<http://nature.org/ohio>

The Nature Conservancy in Ohio
Coastal Program Office