OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2016 09:32:03 -0400
The yearly tinkering with the order of species in the official list of
North American birds gives us a whole new idea of the relationships of
these birds. Developing and using checklists will be very different from
here on. There's a helpful post on the Alabama list:
http://birding.aba.org/message.php?mesid=1184887&MLID=AL&MLNM=Alabama
that explains the process and rationales for the major changes in the
official list. It offers links to the new North American list and also
to the Alabama list. It's a helpful aid to understanding a host of
changes. We'll have to make big changes in our Ohio list beyond just
adding a half-dozen species based on recent records committee decisions.
        As I was finishing my checklist of central Ohio species I had to go
back and change many many new orders before I put it online, and anyone
publishing a bird checklist from now on will have to make some big
alterations and get used to some new ideas. Thanks to Greg Jackson for
the orderly introduction.
Bill Whan