OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:41:23 +0000
Just a reminder that this upcoming Sunday, October 9th, for the 8th consecutive year, The Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary Big Sit will be held at and from the site observation deck, which overlooks 264 acres of a former fish farm. The "BIG SIT" is referred to by some as a "Tailgate Party For Birders". The object is to tally as many bird species as can be seen or heard within twenty-four hours from a seventeen foot diameter circle. The annual nationwide event is hosted by Bird Watcher's Digest and sponsored by Swarovski Optik. Proudly, our team has recorded the highest number of species in Ohio in the past four count years, during our seven year participation. In 2014, with a tally of 82 species, our highest ever count, we placed 9th out of 197 worldwide circles participating. During the seven years, 70 is the average count. You are welcome to come by and visit us for an hour, or for the day, and hopefully find and contribute a new bird to the count. The site is located in eastern Mahoning County at 2650 Calla Road. To reach the destination go east about a half mile from the intersection with New Buffalo Road south of Western Reserve Road. For reference, about 236 species of birds have been recorded at this restricted access park area. Our "Big Sit" this year is dedicated to Jim Dolan, who passed away in July. Jim was instrumental in initiating the first Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary Big Sit and participated each year after. Jim's companionship will be missed.

Bob Lane / Team Captain